top of page


Workplace recycling law is changing from this weekend

A quick reminder to all BID members that workplace recycling is changing in Wales from this weekend.

The information below is taken from the Newport City Council website...

From 6 April 2024, it will become law for all:

  • businesses

  • charities

  • public sector organisations

to sort their waste for recycling.

The new requirements include separating collection for different waste types:

  • food waste (if you produce more than 5kg per week)

  • paper and card (which can be combined)

  • glass

  • metals, plastics and food and drink cartons (which can be combined all together)

The new rules also include an obligation to recycle unsold textiles and small waste electrical and electronic equipment separately, if applicable. It also includes a ban on disposal of food waste to sewer.

It will be your responsibility to make sure that all these types of waste are separated at your premises. They must be collected separately by your waste collection company.

Not following the new rules might result in you getting a fine from Natural Resources Wales.

It is important that you are aware of the changes and what they mean so you can prepare.

You will need to make sure you have adequate signage and internal recycling containers. 

This is based on the size of your business and the type of waste generated. This is so that all waste streams are ready to be collected separately.

To find out how your workplace will be affected visit the Welsh government workplace recycling page.

Businesses that produce waste must have a trade waste contract with a registered waste carrier.

If you don't it could mean enforcement action being taken. It is your legal duty to make sure your waste goes to a licensed site.

You are responsible for making sure that the company that removes your waste is registered.

Waste carriers carry a certificate of registration from the Environment Agency. You should keep a copy of this. You also need to transfer your waste to a licensed site through a carrier. You can do this using waste transfer notes.

This is documentation that you must complete and that is transported with the waste. With a regular collection you may only need to do this once a year. Your carrier will advise and help you.

You need to make sure that the place to which your waste is sent is licensed by the Environment Agency to accept it. The carrier should be able to supply you with a copy of the license. Make sure you see the license schedule. It will say what type of waste the site is licensed to take.

It is your duty under the law to make sure that your waste goes to a site licensed to take it.


bottom of page